Friday, March 21, 2014

The Sixes


The book I have to tell you about this week is The Sixes by Kate White.


Right after Phoebe Hall's long-term boyfriend breaks off their relationship, she's falsely accused of plagiarizing her latest bestselling celebrity biography. Looking for a quiet place to put her life back together, she jumps at the offer to teach in a small private college in Pennsylvania run by her former boarding school roommate. But something evil lurks behind the quiet campus cafes and leafy maple trees. When the body of a female student washes up on the banks of a nearby river, disturbing accusations begin to surface about abuses wrought by a secret campus society known as The Sixes. Haunted by memories of her own school days, Phoebe launches a private investigation, and soon finds herself in the middle of a real-life nightmare, not knowing whom she can trust and if she will even survive. Because with the truth comes a terrifying revelation: your darkest secrets can still be uncovered... and starting over may be a crime punishable by death.

This was a Barnes and Noble bargain book, and I was really scared it was going to be as bad as the last one I got (see this post). But I am happy to report that it was WAY better. It grabbed my attention pretty much from the get go. There was a lot of characters coming in and out which can be overwhelming sometimes, but in this case it was all about keeping the reader guessing. Every time a new name came up, I was find myself trying to think through scenarios about how they fit in and what it might mean. Overall, the book took a few twists and turns and it seemed like around every corner, there was another surprise.

It wasn't the most intense book I've ever read, but the fact that it had good suspense while also being an easy read made it really good for a reader who doesn't always have long periods of time to read (since sometimes you have to be able to devote a good hour or two to make any progress in a book).

Overall, I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I think I will do some looking to see what other books this author might have out there for me.

 photo 284877b_zps8b820ec3.png

No comments: