Monday, January 16, 2012

Let's get Real for a Minute

So, I'm gonna do something out of my norm and talk religion for a minute.

First of all, here's a breakdown of my religious beliefs:
I am not a very "religious" person. I go to church when I have to, my handbell choir is associated with our local United Methodist church. I grew up doing christian-y things... sunday school, AWANA, bible camp, youth group, mission trip, etc. But I don't particularly believe in the bible version of Christ. 

Which leads me to this book I read.



When I read the synopsis, I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. It's about a man whose little girl is kidnapped on a camping trip, and her blood soaked dress is found at an abandoned shack. Years later he gets a note that urges him to go back to the shack for a weekend, and against his better judgement he goes. 

At the shack, he basically meets the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and he comes to realize their roles in his life and how he's pushed them away since he lost his little girl.

So, back to my beliefs. I see God as more of a comforting entity. I think that people believe in God and it makes them feel safe and allows them to let go of the things in their life that they are having trouble dealing with. That is kind of my thoughts.

So this book pretty solidified the same thoughts for me. It talks about how the three entities of God work with this guy to bring him comfort and how they have been there for him when he didn't know it.

Anyways, this is my review of this book:

If you are looking for a religious awakening, read it. If you aren't a religious person (like myself), you could still read it because it's a good storyline about loss and suffering and coming back from it like a champ.

That's all.

No comments: