Thursday, July 5, 2012

I'm a Worm

A Book worm that is!!! (hahahahahaa..... I am so clever sometimes)


This week I have not one, not two, but THREE books to share with you.
I seriously have been reading up a storm. But that's what happens when you find some good books I suppose.

#1. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

This is another one of the books that I got in the book swap I did a few weeks ago. Here is the synopsis from the cover:

Despite the tumor shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Yes, it's a story about kids with cancer. Not the most enjoyable subject matter. But ya know what, this was a GREAT book. It definitely made me tear up at points. But it was also funny, and real. Not that it's based upon a true story (I don't think), but it seemed so realistic (for the most part).
Definitely a 4.75 out of 5 (there's always room for improvement)

#2: Fifty Shades Darker by EL James

You'll notice that it took me a few weeks (maybe a month) after reading the first book to read the second one. That's because the first book didn't REALLY make me want to read the second one. I mean, I knew I was eventually going to read the second one, because I wanted to know what happened to Christian and Ana's relationship, but it was something I could wait for. Then I borrowed this from my friend over the weekend and I had it read in approximately 1.5 days.
Here's the deal:

Daunted by the singular tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur, Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.
But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement Ana can no resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Ana learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven, and demanding Fifty Shades.
While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Ana must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.

There are still things wrong with this book. I don't like how she calls him her "Fifty". I think it's really annoying. And the writing still isn't the best.
But it has a real story line this time. There is a lot more going on with their relationship, and there is other stuff going on. It isn't just what you are seeing with their relationship, there are things coming out of the closet and some excitement.
If you didn't need the history in the first book, I would tell you to skip that one and jump right to this one.

#3 Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

This book I've passed  up a few times, but I decided to read it because I've been hearing some good things about it.

On the day she was abducted, Annie O'Sullivan a thirty two year old Realtor had three goals - sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she's about to leave, Annie thinks it might just be her lucky day.
Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent captive in a remote mountain cabin - which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist - is the second narrative recounting the nightmare that follows her escape: her struggle to piece her shattered life back together, the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor, and the disturbing sense that things are far from over.

I read this book really quickly too. It was right up my alley. I like the suspense books, books about kidnappings and murders and stuff (I know, kinda weird I guess). It also had a lot of twists and turns and things that you never really thought were going to happen, but did.
I would give this one a 4 out of 5. It was good and addicting.

That's all for now kids. I will try to not end up with so many books to review at once...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read a lot of good reviews on The Fault in our Stars. I'm going to have to check it out!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out the first and third books you mentioned! They both look good to me! I read the 50 Shades trilogy and wasn't impressed. Doesn't it annoy you how she uses the same words over and over again, like they are the only ones in the english language or something. I'm still confused as to how these books got so big.

Shoshanah said...

I keep hearing such great things about The Fault in our Stars. Hopefully I have the chance to pick it up soon!

And Fifty Shades Darker was by far my favorite of the series. I do think the 3rd one is worth reading, if only so you know how things end up. But if you're like me, it probably won't be as good as the 2nd for you.