Friday, September 14, 2012

Soo...


In case you hadn't noticed, since I have been sans computer at home I have been doing a crap ton of reading. I actually read three whole books in this past week.
Two of them great, one of them not.

I'll tell you about the not good one first.
I appear to have misplaced the book since I finished it, but let me give you an overview.
It's about the murder of a high school girl. A girl that slept with everybody else's boyfriends. And an old friend of hers (who was born with a cleft pallet, which has nothing to do with the story, but comes up a lot) who gets it in her mind to prove everybody wrong, that her friend WASN'T just a slut, that she was a good person, blah blah blah. Oh, and she is trying to pin down who the killer is.
The story is really long for not a lot going on. It really drags on and you want it to get better, but it doesn't really. There is one little twist at the end, but it was just really a let down.

Now for the good stuff.

The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

Here is the summary on this one:

The bond between twins is unmistakable. For Jocelyn and JAck, that bond was all they had. But now Jack is dead. Then Jocelyn receives a letter from Jason December - the code name Jack used when they were children. Only one other person knows about Jason December: Noah, Jocelyn's childhood crush. But Noah isn't the one contacting Jocelyn. Together they decide to return to Seale House, the frightening foster home where all three of them lived together.
Seale House has more secrets than they could have ever imagined. And it suddenly seems possible that Jack faked his death, that the letter and the riddles that follow are cryptic clues leading to his whereabouts. But someone else is looking for him - someone dangerous. Jocelyn and Noah must race to find Jason December. That is, if he's alive...

If you haven't noticed by now, I am drawn a little bit to the creepy weird books sometimes. But let me tell you, this book was NOT what I was thinking it was going to be. It is suspenseful enough to where you were kept guessing what was going on, and I found myself more than once going "wait, these kids are, like, in high school... how is this even possible?!" but at the same time feeling like it COULD happen.
The end has a GREAT twist. And it ended really well.
I love me a book that ends well.

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Next: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

I know a crap ton of you have read and raved about this book. So I had to buy it. For those of you who don't know what it's about, here's the back cover:

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenge by Eastern University's Walking One Night Stand.
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants - and needs - to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

This is just the best love story. I couldn't put it down. I was cursing to myself everytime my lunch time ended. I was trying to read it in the dark in the car when we went places. Ridiculous, I know.
The twists and turns had just enough suspense to make you keep reading, and there were times when I just couldn't wrap my mind around what might happen. I wanted to freaking punch Abby in the face sometimes. And other times, I thought Travis was the biggest douche there is.

It was great. 5 stars. Read it.

 

No comments: