Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Movie Review: Book of Eli

Over the weekend, Chad and I spent a rare evening together just relaxing on the couch and we were flipping the channels when we came across the movie The Book of Eli.


In case you've never seen or heard of the movie, this is the breakdown of what it's about:

A post apocalyptic tale, in which a lone man fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secret to saving mankind.

At first I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the movie. It isn't usually my type of flick, but I was quickly sucked into it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Denzel Washington IS THE MAN. You can disagree if you want, but he is such a bad ass in this movie. He ends up in a little town that is essentially being run by one man (Carnegie) who is searching for this book (a bible... sorry if that's a spoiler for you) that Eli (Denzel) has in his possession. It turns into a battle of wit and strength. Eli ends up letting Solara (Mila Kunis) come with him when she decides that she is done living under this guy Carnegie.

I don't want to give too much away, but the movie has some twists and outcomes that I wasn't expecting. And I think it was such a great role for Mila Kunis. Usually she is just the hot chick in movies and she tends to be more comedic. Don't get me wrong, she's still the hot chick in this movie, but she plays such a deep role that her looks really take a back seat.

Overall, I would give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. The ending was good, but it definitely left some loose ends that I would have liked to see tied up somehow.




2 comments:

Alison said...

Yes! Book of Eli is awesome and Denzel Washington is even better!!

Lin said...

This movie is really underrated. When it first came out I opted not to watch it in theaters because I thought it was going to be religious...which it's really not.

When it finally came out on DVD the hubs forced me to watch it & it quickly become one of our favorites.