Friday, April 19, 2013

A Land of Sheltered Promise


Back for another book review my friends! 

This week I'm sharing A Land of Sheltered Promise by Jane Kirkpatrick

The synopsis on the back is fairly long, so here is my cliff notes version:

It's the historical story (based on true events) that surround an area in Oregon known as The Big Muddy Ranch.
The first story starts in 1901 when a woman's husband is accused (and convicted) of murder. It follows her as she starts a life of her own on the land, and the changes it brings to her life.
Next up, in 1984, the land is transformed into the religious city of Rajneeshpuram which is, essentially, a cult. It follows the thoughts and actions of one girl who gets swept up into the cult, and whose mother comes to try to bring her back to reality.
Finally, in 1997, a group of people revive the land that had been used for the cult to start a youth camp using the buildings and resources that had been left behind.

Like I said, that's just the cliff notes of the story, and I'm sure not as good as if you were reading the actual synopsis, but you get the idea.

This book was one that I picked up at my church rummage sale last year and has been sitting by my bed since. I started reading it once last year and couldn't get into it. However this time when I picked it up again, I could barely put it down! I really enjoyed the way the three eras were tied together, and I think as far as historical fiction goes, it was really good. From what I can tell, the events are all true, but the names and characters (and obviously their thoughts, etc) are fiction.

Anyways, overall I thought it was a good book and give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. If you like US history, I think this would be a good book to read.




No comments: