Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mmm Mmm Good

I'm back again with more reviews of newly discovered recipes.

Chorizo Breakfast Nachos

Courtesy of the Budget Bytes blog again, here's the original recipe.

Chad has somewhat recently developed a love for chorizo, so he was really excited about the prospect of these. Here is what they looked like when I got them all constructed and ready to serve up:

I'm not a fan of salsa from the grocery store (nothing compares to the salsa at our local El Caporal), so I just served mine up with some sour cream.


I have to say, I really liked these! I was a little nervous about the whole mexican meets scrambled eggs situation, but it was delightful. 
I think next time I make these (because there WILL be a next time), I might consider making the nachos up, but doing an over easy egg for myself because I LOVE me a runny egg yolk. 
(Side note about this recipe, she also enlightened me to the best way to cook scrambled eggs!)

Crockpot Mongolian Beef

Just so you know, I love chinese food... it runs in my blood (I'm not even a little bit asian, but it seems as though I am genetically predisposed to love chinese food). So anytime I can have it at home without having to spend lots of money on it, I'm in.

Enter WannaBite.

Suffice it to say, my versions never look like the ones in the original pictures. 

I switched the recipe up just a little bit. Rather than using canola oil, I used sesame oil for a little more asian flavor. I also added in some red pepper flakes to get a bit of heat in it (Chad loves his food spicy). I also added in some frozen broccoli to the crock pot for the last half hour or so.
I served it over a bed of Uncle Ben's Jasmine ready rice (which I really enjoyed, btw)

It turned out pretty tasty I suppose. There ended up being significantly more sauce than was necessary, so it almost was a bit overwhelming for the taste buds. 
I recommend this recipe, but if you are like us and don't want your meat swimming in sauce, you may want to scale back the measurements a bit.

 photo 284877b_zps8b820ec3.png

No comments: