Friday, September 28, 2012

Book Review: Gone Girl


This past week I jumped on the bandwagon and read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Before I read this book, I had heard so many great things about it. It has been all the talk of blogs and people around me. So when my sister told me I could borrow it, I clearly couldn't turn her down (not that I really turn down any books).

Here's what it's about:

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha girl perfectionist could put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media - as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents - the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter - but is he really a killer?
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

I have to say, the book starts out one way and you THINK you know what is going on, and then you are hit by a literary mac truck and you have to try to rearrange all your thoughts and figure out how you feel.
By the end of the book, I wasn't sure who I was rooting for, or what I was hoping would happen. It definitely makes you wonder what the heck makes people so damn crazy!

Overall, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be, but it is definitely a page turner that I recommend.

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.



2 comments:

Shoshanah said...

I just finished this one and was really impressed with it. I definitely understand why everyone is making such a big deal about it now.

Janie said...

Ohh love how you put it. I like books that make you reassess everything you know! :)